Como Park Zoo and Conservatory employees are employed by the City of St. Paul, through the Department of Parks and Recreation.
Current Openings At Como:
We have part-time and full-time seasonal jobs in Maintenance Department. Click or scan the QR code
Right now we are not taking in interns.
EXPERIENCE THE WONDERS OF INTERNING AT COMO!
Como Park Zoo and Conservatory features many fascinating connections between humans, plants and animals. Each year, more than 50 interns and 1,000 volunteers work in partnership with staff throughout the campus to promote the mission of Como. Intern opportunities are offered year round in some areas and seasonally in others.
Before getting started, please note that:
- You must be currently enrolled in a college or university degree program
- Preference is given to applicants currently enrolled in a related field of study
- Interns are required to follow policies and procedures of Como Park Zoo and Conservatory
- All service internships are unpaid
Check out our Como Intern Program FAQ for more information and review the descriptions below.
A Como Zoo Animal Care internship will provide hands on learning opportunities for college students interested in pursuing a zoo career. The internship will provide a unique opportunity for students to work side by side with zookeepers to understand the husbandry and management of zoo species.
Under the guidance of zookeepers, interns will acquire practical experience in the areas of animal husbandry, training, enrichment, enclosure maintenance, and animal observation. Our Zoo internships are typically about 10 weeks long. The minimum number of hours required per week is determined by the supervisor in each area and may vary depending on the season. An intern’s schedule does include weekend and holiday hours.
General requirements to be aware of for Zoo placements:
- Receive college credit for the internship
- Be able to lift 50 pounds
- Fulfill hourly requirements
- Schedules will include weekend and holiday hours
- A negative TB test and a Hepatitis B vaccination are required to work in the Primate area.
- As a matter of policy and procedure, interns will not be able to touch or hand-feed animals
Application Deadlines for all departments:
We will accept applications past the stated deadline if openings remain. Please email or call to find out if we have openings remaining past the application deadlines.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD INTERN APPLICATION
A complete Como intern application must include the following:
- Cover letter indicating reasons for interest in a Como internship
- Resume summarizing education and employment experiences
- Two letters of reference; at least one reference submitted by a college instructor with knowledge of your academic performance and commitment to your major
- Completed Internship Application form
Application materials can be submitted electronically or via regular mail.
If you have any questions about applying, contact Volunteer & Intern Services at: