Free educational and engaging programs for all Minnesota schools
Como Park Zoo & Conservatory is launching two new, free, educational virtual programs for preschoolers thru 12th grade. An educational program from Como Park Zoo & Conservatory will enhance any curriculum.
With Covid-19 limiting Como’s ability to visit schools, Como’s educators along with a few animal ambassadors, have come up with entertaining and educational ways to virtually visit students in their classroom.
Our first new program, “Como Class Pass“, enables schools with preschoolers – 12th grade the ability to enjoy the same multi-aged, multi-themed programs that would normally visit schools throughout the year. Programs will include pre-recorded presentations of live animal ambassadors; some topics include fun, virtual activities. Once reserved, you will receive access to the program you selected that will be active for 7 days enabling you to show your class the video at a time that works best for you. Note: You will not be able to give your students their own access. Thanks to a generous Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) , Como is able to offer these entertaining and educational programs virtually, free of charge. See all the classes by CLICKING HERE.
The second program is a free virtual lesson series for all 2nd grade classrooms in the state of Minnesota called “Como Connections”
- These lessons build meaningful connections between students and Como’s plants and animals at a time when field trips are not feasible.
- Students will learn about a variety of Como’s residents like Chloe the Sloth, Anna the Banana Plant, and the Penguin Colony.
- Each lesson includes an engaging 5-6 minute video and 1-2 student activities.
- The lessons are created using Seesaw and are shared with teachers in a weekly email.
Here is a sample of what teachers are saying about the Como Connections Virtual Lesson Series
- “They were so happy to see something in the community that they love. They are all missing going special places like the Como Zoo.”
- “Thank you so much! It has been fantastic to share these new lessons with our class for ongoing engagement. They love you! Thanks!”
- “I love it that it is short and sweet, yet FULL of information! 😉 Kids loved the humor!”
- “These are great lessons! PLEASE keep them coming!”
Interested in offering these free lessons to your 2nd grade students? Contact Bekah Hanes, Learning Experiences Coordinator at email@example.com for more information and to get on the email list.
Como Connections is funded by Como Friends.
And finally, Como recently celebrated one year of Como Live!, the award-winning, Legacy funded series that features Como Park Zoo & Conservatory’s talented educators, zookeepers and horticulturists. Como Live has brought people up close to Como Zoo´s animals and the gardens of the Marjorie McNeely Conservatory with engaging and educational videos, crafts, puzzles, and activities since April 6, 2020. Como Live! has been viewed for over 803,800 minutes!